VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Susan J Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2010 08:09:18 -0400
Al,
   Although his will was written in 1738 it was not submitted until 1740
which usually means he died sometime "in between" those times - I'm
including for you what I have in my notes about him - possibly something
in it will help.  Many deeds were submitted and it actually took quite a
bit of time before they were actually "completed" or put on the books.
Here is what I have on Col. Robert Adams (or Addams)

" He owned 400 acres on the north side of Rivanna, received in 1732.  He
was granted 2000 acres on Buck Island Creek on the south side of the
north fork of the James River beginning at a white oak marked R. A. on
the side of said Creek to compleat the Quantity.  He also had (according
to Goochland Co. Deed Book 12, pg. 132 -400 acres in Henrico Co. north
side of James River adj. Samuel Burk's corner on branch Licking Hole
Creek - Feb. 22, 1724.  Deed Book 1, . 158 -Feb. 16, 1729 Robert Adams to
Henry Chiles for 20 lbs 200 acres part of patent on Licking Hole Creek
bounded by Samuel Burk with all houses, wit. Thomas Prosser, Thomas
Dickins  Book 13, pg 79 Robert Addams 400 acres Henrico Co. on Licking
Hole Cr below the fork adj his own land June 16, 1727 - land that was
possibly given to his daughter Agnes Ferguson - "northeast Thos Saunder's
land".  Deed Book 2 pg. 257 Sept. 21, 1736 Robert Adams to Thomas
Saunders...son-in-law...who married dau Amie 400 acres in fork of Licking
Hole Creek bounded by patent to Adams June 16, 1727.  Deed Book 2, pg 43
Sept. 16, 1734 John Woodson to Robert Adams for 10 obs 250 acres on
branches of Tuckahoe and Dover Mill Creek next to 200 acres sold to
Thomas Wadlow and 96 acres on both sides Mill Creek being east of land
bought by Adams of John Woodson dec'd.
        Will of Robert Adams  Feb. 22, 1738, signed Robert Addams.  Wit.
Henry Wood, Martin & King.  Recorded June 17, 1740.  Although he signed
his will on Feb. 22, 1838, it was not recorded in Goochland Co. VA Deed
Book 3, pp 305-306 until June 17, 1740.  To son James all my land and
plantation to th eriver, where I now live, after death of my wife
Mourning, who is to have land for life.  To son Robert all my land on the
creek where I live and the mill.  The ridge back of my house to be
dividing line between my two sons.  To daughters Judith Clark and Mary
Mooreman, 800 acres at foot of Sugar Loaf Mountain, equally divided.  To
daughter Elizabeth Mooreman, 400 acres on Mychunck Creek next to county
line.  To daughter Agnes Farguson, 400 acres in fork of Lickinghole Creek
on north east side of Thomas Saunder's land.  To daughter Susanna, 400
acres on southwest side of Francis Coley's on which land John Miles now
lives.  To daughter Lucy 500 acres where the mine was dug and where Mark
Liveley lived.  To my daughter Anne the younger, 400 acres on Mychunk
Creek, adjoining my great tract up the creek and is a separate patent.
(Anne married Richard Pleasants July 1, 1762)  To daughter Sally 398
acres on both sides of Dover Mill Creek where I lately dwelt.  If any of
my maiden daughters die before marriage, then their land to be divided
equally between my two sons."

Susan