VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:25:33 -0500
Many Clerk's offices and courthouses have banned cameras because in some cases users have abused the privilege and the documents.  I personally witnessed a woman open deed books all over the floor, getting in everyone's way, trying to get a "good shot."  Here in Charlotte County you need advance permission from the Clerk and it is rarely given.

And while I'm at it, may I remind people (and you know who you are) that PENCILS are the only acceptable writing implement in an archive, don't EVER tap on the pages with the point, and only open the books on a flat surface big enough to hold the entire open book.  (Sorry for the rant but it was a long day at the clerk's office today --- lots of people who should never be allowed near an original document.)

Kathy