VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:30:53 -0800
I agree with you, John.  One example of getting a bit too simplistic, leads to the apparent assumption that it was Scottish Highlanders  who migrated South in large numbers.   Not so. It was the Scottish Lowlanders,  the same folks the English "imported" to Ulster a generation earlier, and who are now often  referred to as the Scotch-Irish.  Oddly, it was the  Highlander Scot who was more closely related to the Irish --by both culture and heritage-- than to the Lowlander.   Does

  Joanne

John G Douglas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Isn't "English North" and "Scottish South" a little simplistic?

>One theory:
>
>To add to the collection of REASONS for the war, try this! Some think it was
>a continuation of battles in Europe which had been ongoing for centuries. The
>English, with their red, white and blue flag, battled the Scottish Highlanders
>who had chosen a flag with blue field and white St. Andrew's cross. The
>English
>migrated to the North and New England while the Scots migrated to the South
>and the Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains.Soon they were at it again
>in the great Civil War.

--John