VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2005

From:
Paula Wiegand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Wiegand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:40:50 -0500
On 12 Jan 2005 at 7:05, Scott Simpson wrote:

> Can anyone tell me whether the widow of a soldier who was killed in
> the Revolutionary War was eligible for a pension or bounty land?

The pension act of 24 August 1780 provided half pay to widows or
orphans of commissioned officers who died in service.

The pension act of 4 July 1836 allowed widows to claim the pension
that would have been due their husband's under the Act of 7 June
1832, provided the marriage had occurred before the end of the
soldier's service. The Act of 7 June 1832 was the most liberal
pension act for the Revolutionary War, allowing a pension for
soldiers who had served at least 6 months and, like the Act of 15
May 1828, there was no requirement to show need.

Paula Wiegand
Genealogy Quest
5550 Stuckey Road
Indian Head, MD 20640