VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:26:05 -0600
Nice message, Alyce, and right on target.  Any researcher worth his/her salt
double checks any information that might - MIGHT - have been created under
circumstances that would conduce to one or more questionable conclusions.
Indeed, I have seen very few writings of any length done by honest genealogy
buffs (including LDS folks) that did not somewhere contain an outright
error, an imprecise statement, inferences that were not justified by the
available evidence, or misleading conclusions.

Ours is NOT to throw out the baby with the bath water, but to distinguish
what is helpful from what is nonsense, and use the result just as we would
any other facts that tend to prove lineage.

Paul
www.DrakesBooks.com

From Alyce: ....ROOTS] Research and writing about Virginia genealogy and
family history."

I am late in reading this missive but wanted to let you know that although
the LDS SUBMITTED Files are known to be "full of errors" as are probably all
of our personal files we have done on our own families.
We are all human.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:22 AM