VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2003

Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 00:07:58 EDT
Greetings,
I am seeking info on the black Arthur Irby (36y), wife Mary, and their next
door neighbor George Brown & his wife Lizzie. They were found in the 1920
Census for West Virginia, Raleigh Co, Coal City township, Hot Coal Precinct.

I suspect the above Arthur is the same Arthur who married Pattie Chappell in
1904 in Halifax Co VA. In the 1910 Census Arthur (26Y) and Pattie were
listed with their 3 children in Halifax Co Virginia.

The name of the mother of Arthur was Sallie Brown. When Arthur married
Pattie in 1904 he used the Surname Brown, and listed his mother as Sallie. I
found Arthur (14Y) in the 1900 census for VA. living in the household of
Sallie Brown, with his siblings.

Arthur left (spelled abandoned) Pattie and his children in VA, and went alone

to W.Va.

I suspect that Arthur Irby and his next door neighbor George Brown in 1920
are related to each other.