VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Kathryn Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:50:13 -0500
Thank you, Twyla, couldn't have worded it better.

I would like to say, Mr Cross, I don't give a nat's posterior for the facts of the relationship of Sally Hemings and our 3rd President.  If I were a descendant of either, I probably would.  And, from 1st hand knowledge, the Monticello does not "take a neutral stance".  Dr Jordan came out with a statement a while ago.  Google it.  If you need an interesting exchange of authors on Fawn Brodie (who first brought it out), go to:   http://www.neh.gov/news/archive/19981106.html

And I do (no caps) care a whit about the private and public life of our leaders (blue dress, ick, 42nd president - oops, I meant to capitalize that).  And, as a female, I do think it makes a difference (remember, non-white men were given the vote before ANY women did); I don't know, sounds like a male pissing contest to me.  Sally bore a resemblance to Martha, ...  a weak, old (by the times) man took up with his wife's likeness ... and owned slaves; yeah, I think it makes a difference.  And, YES, I think what we created here (US) makes a HUGE longterm benefit to the world.  Your selection - 'stating that "all men are created equal," then left the institution of slavery intact', oh my gosh, completely ignores the fact that all women could not vote.  Sorry I digress.  Oops, did that require quotes?  "However, I should like to state for the record that as a descendant of the Old Dominion (via" Virginia - oops, a redundancy), and with ancestors who fought for the preservation of slavery?"' nope, not mine.  My ancestors fought with the Confederacy and were not slaveowners.  There was more to it then.  And, the males in my family married, omg, women who were Union supporters (I'm from Norfolk, what can I say?)

My email responses have been between the others (omg, men, but one? Is that a coincidence?)  We really need to focus, on this LIST, the genealogy of individuals but because you mention Thomas Jefferson and I am having a problem with my Prince George Co Burtons and Rawlings, can we shift off here to his sister who married and is, as with those of us (maybe) descendants of Pocahontas (omg, non white?? ah, Pocahantas-exception - whew!).

Thanks, Pat Smith, for bringing us back around.

Can we give this a rest, please?

Katie