VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2015

Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:01:21 -0600
List Members,
	I found the previous comments by Craig Kilby and Dr. William Milam most interesting and informative about settlers moving from Maryland down to Northumberland County, Virginia..
	Is it possible that my Adam Booth b. c. 1650 or earlier location unknown d. c. 1688-1703 St. Stephens Parish, Northumberland County, Virginia, came down or over from Maryland?  My Booth line daughters out when a later generation migrated down to Edgefield District, South Carolina, where Elizabeth, daughter of James Booth Sr., had married Winfrey Whitlock before the 1790 census.  Connecting my Booth line back to Northumberland was one of my first "finds" when the Internet developed and I found out about this list although I have not always been a subscriber.  I was thrilled that I had finally found through the help of another researcher on this list one of my families who traced back to a Virginia county where the records were not lost/burned and a lot of early information and records had been abstracted and published.  I am not sure if this will go back to the list.  I have forgotten how to post.  Elizabeth Booth Whitlock was b. c. 1770 Virginia according to the 1850 & 1860 census of Edgefield District, South Carolina.  Booths were in Edgefield District shortly thereafter before or during the American Revolution.
	After years of research I have never identified any parents for Winfrey Whitlock d.c. 1837-1839 Edgefield District, South Carolina.  I have strong feelings that he is connected to the Whitlock men who recorded the births of slaves in the St Peter's Parish Register in New Kent County, Virginia, c. 1704 or so.  I have never come across anyone researching that family.  There are both Whitlock and Winfrey surnames entries in that register.  No entries connecting the two that I have identified.  Winfrey was not a common given name.  Then Whitlocks are in Hanover and Goochland, etc.
	I think that Winfrey Whitlock, Sr. and Elizabeth Booth met and married in South Carolina, mainly because I have not found any Whitlocks.  A William Whitlock who is connected to the Douglas Register was in Goochland County, Virginia, before coming to Union District, South Carolina, in the late 1700's.  There was a James Whitlock who has a rejected pension application for the Revolutionary War which reflects both a Goochland and Union/Edgefield connection.
	Vivian Cates, Mound Prairie, Alto, Texas 1-936--8858-3801  http://www/myinu.net/vcates