VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2012

From:
robert yingst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 01:07:30 +0000
I have been following with interest the discussion regarding the displacement of people for the creation of Shenandoah National Park.  I have researched the subject at great length (including records of the Park at Luray, as well as the National Archives. Library of Virginia and Library of Congress).  I have done some writing on the subject.

My grandfather’s land and apple orchard business (planted by his father) was seized for the Park.  The last batch of apples he sold was to a company in England for over $10,000, not long before the dedication of the Park at Big Meadows.  The cemetery of our ancestors was cut off from access with the taking for the park.

My grandfather sued the Commonwealth of Virginia and Harold Ickes the Secretary of the Interior arguing that taking  the land (by Virginia) on the premise that it would be later turned over to the federal government was not a proper basis to claim public purpose and therefore unconstitutional.  [Via v Virginia, et al].  He lost in the United States Supreme Court.

Virginia’s effort to take this land was started long before FDR and the CCC.  The first plan called for the seizure of over 800,000 acres in the 1920s at a time when the median family income was around $2,500 per year.

Those who visit the park today, and take the time to visit the Visitor center at Big Meadows, can see a picture of my grandfather and a brief description of this event in what is now a more appropriate cultural exhibit recognizing that in addition to the magnificent scenery, people are interested in the people who lived on the mountain and lost their land and their homes.

Robert Yingst

Sent from iCloud