VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
Clay Gullatt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:48:42 -0700
Gullatt is an off shoot of Gullett. John Gullett b. 20 Apr 1711 Cecil Co. MD d.Aug 1753 Cecil Co. MD when the court clerk transcribed the administration of his estate 1753-1755 he spelled it as Gullatt and Gullett, in St. Stephens Parish Church records it was spelled Golat for Peter and his brother but Gullett for their father John.  In a 1704 Cecil Co court document John Gullett b. ca 1685 was seeking his freedom from an indenture to Wm Smith, having served him 4 years and being free for one year, which freedom was granted. He married Sarah LNU ca 1709 and were parents of John b. 1711 who married Mary LNU and Mary b. ca 1714 who married Nathan Jones.

John and Mary Gullett/Gullatt had 4 children Mary b. 1734, Ann b. 1737 m. James Polk Reese, Peter b. 17 Jun 1740 m. Rachael Thrift, John b. 13 Jan 1745 m. Ann Geary. Peter who was my 5th Great-grandfather is listed in 1761 Cecil Co. Tax lists as Peter Gullat in other records as Peter Gullet or Gullett. Peter and John were in Fairfax Co VA by 1768, they were both blacksmiths where their name was spelled both Gullatt and Gullett. Peter signed an indentured with George Washington to train one of Washington's and one of his stepson's slaves as blacksmiths. Peter signed that indenture as Peter Gollatt. Peter and his brother John both died in 1784 Truro Parish Fairfax Co. VA.

We believe but are by no means sure that they were French Huguenots who came from France in the 1500s and probably were from Devonshire, England before coming to MD. There are dozens of Gulletts in Devon church records before 1700 some back into the 1500s all except the very earliest have English give names. I have never found a connection from John Gullett b. ca 1685 to the other Gulletts who came to Sommset Co. MD in the 1660s and 1670s or the ones in Devon.

The Gulletts  in the US are mostly the descendants of William Gullett who immgrated to Sommset Co. MD in 1671 and married Susannah Mills in 1674. There are some Gulletts who immgrated much later.

Almost all the Gullatts are the descendants of John Gullett b. ca 1685 and his son John Gullett/Gullatt.

This is probably way more than anyone wanted to know.

That Wirtman Gullett is Waitman Gullett the son of George and Mary (Goslin) Gullett Jr he was b. 1780 Kent Co. DE. m. Elizabeth Reeves 27 Jul 1835 Bedford Co. TN bought land in Pope Co. IL 11 Jan 1837 m. 2nd Mary Ann Clay 18 Mar 1844 Pope Co. IL. He died 26 Jan 1845. I do know that one of the Gulletts married a King woman in IL from research I did years ago, don't remember the details, lost a lot of info in a computer crash. Kent Co. DE where Waitman was born was once part of MD until the state line eas straighten. This branch were descendants of William and Susannah (Mills) Gullett.

Clay