VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:22:20 EST
Fellow Virginia Researchers:

I want to thank all of you who responded to my query on General Edward
Braddock.  I was given the following link at a very interesting site devoted
to Ohio history and families it seems, which has more on the killing of Gen
Edward Braddock, including the Fassit brothers and a puzzle.  It doesn't
talking about the missing payroll like some of the other sites do, but I much
appreciate the reference, though the Fassitt boys appear to not be on the
Eastern Shore perhaps:

http://www.garlock-elliott.org/archive/YllwCrkSt/CHAPTER15.htm

This is a little more frank, critical, etc., of Gen Edward Braddock,
obviously not culled from a history book for middle schoolers.

Second, I want to respond briefly to the list regarding Malinda's criticism
of my post, to wit:

<< I would like to go on record as saying that I found your remarks about both
 Martha Stewart and George Washington to be glib, inaccurate, unnecessary,
 exploitative, inflammatory and offensive.>>

I won't dispute the fact that the reference was glib, or tongue-in-cheek and
the reference to the Cartalk show on National Public Radio was probably
"unnecessary", however, I don't see anything inaccurate, exploitative,
inflammatory or offensive about the comparison of Martha Stewart and George
Washington.  I was simply paraphrasing EXACTLY comments that were made on a
History Channel series on our Founding Fathers, hosted by Roger Mudd, that I
watched one cold day last December.  The comparison was made ON the show,
undoubtedly so viewers would have a reference for comparison to get a feel
for how George Washington DID devote his time after he resigned.   (FYI, the
show also commented that given the quantity of liquor consumed in
Philadelphia when the Constitution was being written, it is surprising a
document was ever actually hammered out.)

Although I have received several emails privately expressing negative
opinions about Martha Stewart and support for my post for which I am
grateful, I have only watched her show a couple of times, and have over the
years received several parodies exaggerating her various activities.  I have
no quarrel with Martha Stewart....but then again I own several Foxfire books,
and at one time longed to live the simple life on a small farm, until a
Washington Post story written by someone who tried that for a couple of years
in New Hampshire explained that the simple life was being a tenant in a small
condo, with no yard, and close to sources for ready-made goods for all items
for food, clothing and shelter.

Again, thank you all for your comments on my post.

Best Regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter