VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 15:34:10 -0600
Website: Hatcher Families Resource Center
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher
List Admin: Hatcher email list
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
HATCHER DNA Project  http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
"Genealogy Without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

I am curious why only immediate relatives are considered as the recipient of
years of research. Is there someone else you've worked with over the years
who has your same enthusiasm and would be willing to continue the effort
while preserving your years of research? Is there in existence an
association for your surname that would be interested? With the internet
being used more and more for genealogy research, I am seeing more of these
surname associations.

I'm in a unique position in that I, too, while having only 7 yrs behind me,
have accumulated immense amounts of Hatcher data through the hard work of
350 other Hatcher cuzins - and I'm not a Hatcher. I am looking right now for
those in our bunch who are 1) younger and 2) dedicated. These will be the
people I will "interview" to be my successor when the time comes. I would
instruct my successor to follow the same procedure when s/he can no longer
carry on, with the last option being a donation to a library.

My only problem with the library option is that few people have easy access
unless living close by.

Nel