VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2005

From:
Donald Locke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:48:48 +0000
 Just an FYI.

 I have started the Lock / Locke DNA project recently and I am looking for any Lock(e) male who can trace his lineage back to Virginia / West Virginia to participate in the DNA project.

 Our goal is to locate at least one male from each of the Virginia Lock(e) familys and have him DNA tested to see if he is a DNA match to any other Lock(e)'s from Virginia.
To date, 2 Lock(e)'s have DNA tested who can trace back to Virginia and they are not a match, so they are not related. There were only a small hand full of Lock(e)'s who can trace back to the 1700's into Virginia, so we are very interested to see which lineages are DNA related and which are not.

To date, 1 is a English Locke line and 1 is a German > English Lock(e) line from Virginia. Both can be traced to Virginia in the 1700's.
All Lock(e)'s from around the world are invited to join the project, but it is my personal interest to get as many Virginia Lock(e) descendants tested to see who is and who isn't related.

I am specifically interested in finding descendants of Lock(e)'s from Frederick and Berkeley County Virginia (WV)

Frederick Lock b. unknown (1772 & 1777 Berkeley County tax lists)
(nothing further is known about him, no tree traced)
1. Maybe same Frederick Lock of Augusta County Va, 227 acre land grant dated  10/24/1768

Richard Lock b. abt 1700-1720? (Ties to Calvert County Maryland, ties to John Lock, died 1775 in Berkeley County. 1772 Berkeley County tax list)
(full family tree has been traced)
1. Not the same Richard Lock of Amelia County Va.
2. His descendants settled in Barren County Kentucky by 1800. This family is scattered all through out the USA west as far as California.
3. One of his sons is Rev. Jacob Lock, he was a Baptist Minister in Barren County Ky.
4. Two old book references state that Rev. Jacob's parents were of English Parentage.
5. Richard Lock b. unknown, d. 1745 in Calvert County Maryland, his will says: To my Daughter Mary Perry and to my son Richard Lock. It is thought this is one and the same son Richard Lock who lived in Frederick County and Berkeley County Va.

John Lock b. 1726 (he is named on the 1775 Berkeley County estate index of Richard Lock)
(full family tree has been traced)
1. Many of John's descendants remain in Virginia and West Virginia today
2. The paper trail research has shown there is some kinship between John Lock and Richard Lock, but exactly how, we do not know yet. The same men who married the Lock ladies of this lineage are also found living in Calvert County Maryland along with Richard Lock. So there has to be some kind of kinship.

Abraham Lock b. unknown (named in 1754 Frederick County Va deed)
(nothing further is known about him, no tree traced)
1. Suspected to be the father of Jacob Lock and Samuel Lock. Naming patern fits for this Abraham Lock to have been the father of both Samuel Lock and of Jacob Lock as both Samuel and Jacob named their sons Abraham.

Jacob Lock b. unknown (1777 Berkeley County tax list, names his sons Thomas & Abraham  in a Hampshire County will,  not the same Abraham listed in the 1754 deed)
(full family tree has been traced)
1. Not one and the same Rev. Jacob Lock. This Jacob is older then the Rev. Jacob Lock.
2. Not one and the same Abraham Lock son of Samuel Lock. But both Abraham Lock's are thought to be 1st cousins. Both Abraham Lock's were born in the late 1770s and both are later found in Lee County Va.
3. Abraham's descendants settled in Lee Count Virginia for a very short time and later settled in Chariton County Missouri and Polk County and Benton County Oregon.

Reference: Will Exam of Jacob Lock of Hampshire County Virginia dated 4/3/1785
I give to my Son Abraham the Plantation ware on I now live

Reference: Abraham Lock , Washington & Hampshire Counties Virginia 9/14/1795
In this Deed , Abraham Lock sold his Father's Land ( Jacob Lock ) to: Jacob Zailor.
This Indenture made the Fourteenth Day of Septemer in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety Five between Abraham Lock of Washington County Virginia Heir of Jacob Lock , deceas'd of Hamshire County and State of Virginia

Meverall Lock b. unknown (no doubt has ties to the St. Marys County Maryland Lock's, several known spelling variations of Meverall, Meverell, Meveril etc: )
(partial family tree has been traced, appears to be a descendant of Philip Lock of Maryland)

Also looking for descendants of Samuel Lock b. 1752 of Washington and Montgomery County Va. Ties to Lee County Va. through his sons Samuel Jr. Lock and Abraham Lock.
Their descendants settled in Knox County, Bell County, and Harlan County Kentucky, some remain there today.
1. Not to be confused with the other Abraham Lock son of Jacob Lock.
(full tree has been traced)

There were other Lock(e)'s of Virginia, but the one's named are my main focal point right now.

If you have a Lock(e) reference in Virginia, 1600's to now, regardless how minor the mention, I would be very interested in getting a copy of your notes so I can add it to my Lock(e) collection for future reference.

 We have quite a lot of paper records on the Lock(e)'s of Virginia, but we have not found the records to link them together. DNA testing has become available and it seems our likely choice to be able to prove which family's are related and which are not, regardless if there is a paper trail to link them, DNA should prove it one way or the other.

Thanks
Donald Locke
http://home.comcast.net/~lockeroots/home.html