VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2009

Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:55:45 -0700
Hello

VA-Hist & VA-Roots lists,

I would like some help and guidance on how to find the death record ca 1796
and maiden name for my ancestor Susanna Good.

The below history timeline of information is what I have documented.

1748

Jacob Good marked out and established claim to approximately 400 acres, and
built a home on the east bank of lower Patterson's Creek prior to March of
1748 as shown on surveyor James Genn’s hand drawn survey map of 1748, in
Frederick Parish, Frederick County, Virginia.

Generally speaking – this would have taken Jacob approximately 3 - 5 years
but he could have been in the area much earlier.

1749

Jacob Good was issued a Land Grant on June 11, 1749 from Thomas, the Sixth
Lord Fairfax, Baron of Cameron, Proprietor of the Northern Neck of Virginia
for 394 acres, Lot # 14 on (lower) Patterson’s Creek. Where Jacob Good was
from was left blank on the grant.

1749

 Jacob Good was one of the early Patterson’s Creek settlers, who petitioned
the Frederick Co. Court on August 8, 1749. To build a road from lower
Patterson’s Creek to the wagon road that leads from Winchester to the South
Branch

1752 December /1753 August

Jacob Good of Frederick Parish, Frederick County, VA (lower Patterson’s
Creek Lot #14) to neighbor Matthew Rogers (on lower Patterson's Creek Lot
#13) 29 Dec 1752 Lease and Release – of Lot # 14 Patterson Creek to Matthew
Rogers. (Lease Rec. in June 6, 1753, release rec. 7 August 1753) No wife is
mentioned on the documents; Witnesses: Charles Keller (of lower Patterson’s
Creek Lot #16), John Ramsey, Michael Tilbolt, and James McCracken (of lower
Patterson’s Creek settlement Lot #17).

1773

Jacob Good of Frederick Co., Province of MD in 1773 Leased Lot #9 of the
Patterson Creek Manor from John Ramsey Jr son of John Ramsey Sr..  John
Ramsey either occupied or claimed Lot #9 when Patterson Creek Manor was
first surveyed for Fairfax by Joseph Neville and John Moffett in 1762. Their
original survey shows a house on the lot.

1780
Jacob Good’s Will was written April 01, 1780 and probated May 9, 1780. In
the Will Jacob instructs “I empower Peter Putman to Sign and make a Right of
Half my Lot of Land [Lot #9 of Patterson Creek Manor completed in 1782] as
Divided by me for my Son Isaac Good he having made satisfaction for it & now
possesses it”. The Will mentions a wife Susannah and sons Isaac, Peter and
Abraham and indicates that Abraham is a minor and not yet 18 yrs of age.

“I bequeth unto my Son Peter Good my Lands or Estate I now live on
as long as my wife Susanah lives after her Death the Land shall be appraised
& Peter shall have
Four Years to buy it in & every one of my Child shall have an equal part”

1780

Aug 8, 1780 Inventory and Appraisement of the estate of Jacob Good.

1786
Isaac Good “late of Hampshire Co” sells 139 acres, the “upper part’ of lot
#9 of Patterson Creek Manor to Andrew Smalley rec. 7/11/1786

---------------------

ca. 1796

Susanna Good wife of Jacob Good dies – Peter Good’s fathers land was
appraised in April of 1797 after Susanna’s death per the instruction of
Jacob’s 1780 will. Susanna’s approximate death date is extrapolated from the
appraisal date.

1797

April 1797 Appraisement of the Land of Jacob Good decd. rec. June 19, 1797

This was the land willed with instructions to Peter Good. Per Jacob Good’s
1780 will his son Peter Good had to appraise this land after his father’s
wife Susannah died he then had four years to buy this land.

1806

Peter Good sold his father Jacobs’ property, ½ of PCM #9, to his brother
in-law Denny Welch in October of 1806.

Denny Welch brother of Sarah Welch married to Peter Good’s younger brother
Abraham.

Jacob Good of Frederick Co., Province of Maryland leased land in Hampshire
Co., Virginia in August of 1773. Jacob then died in April/May of 1780 is
technically my documented brick wall.... the 20 year gap; 1753-1773 but the
1753 sale of lot #14 on lower Patterson's Creek and the 1773 purchase of lot
#9 of Patterson's Creek Manor and the mention of John Ramsey in both
transactions tie the Jacob Good together as the same albeit tentatively.

Thank you for any direction pointing me to further research.

Sincerely, Bill Good