VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
"Metz, John (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Metz, John (LVA)
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:11:15 -0500
Greetings all,

I would like to address the discussion that started with Sally Phillips
regarding Annette Gordon Reed's book on the Hemings family and the
budget situation at the Library of Virginia.  First of all, the Library
has indeed purchased Reed's book (published 2008) - Mr. Leubke may not
have known about the purchase when he answered Ms. Phillips emailed
reference question.

Secondly, it is true that state budget cuts have had, and will continue
to have, a significant impact on the Library's ability to purchase new
titles for the collection.  Quite simply, it may take longer for new
titles to appear on our shelves and we may only purchase a single copy
when we would have purchased several in better financial times.

It is also important to point out that the Library receives hundreds of
purchase requests each year and every one is carefully considered by the
Library's acquisitions team and approved titles are added to the list of
items to be purchased. We will continue to add to this list and make
purchases as funds become available.  And, rest assured, titles relating
to Virginia history and genealogy are given the highest priority and
every effort is made to fulfill these purchase requests quickly.

I hope this helps to clarify things.

John Metz, Director

Collections Management Services

The Library of Virginia