VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2001

Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:35:50 EDT
August 2001

Captain J. Owens Berry, CSA
8th Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
Andrews Chapel Cemetery
Fairfax County, Virginia  22182

Dear Great Grandfather Berry:

Sir, I am the grandson of your daughter Grace who married the son of your
best friend' and neighbor--Franklin Sherman of Ash Grove.  I am the namesake
of your two sons, Joseph and Edgar.

Where are you, and why can't you answer me?  You enlisted in the 8th Virginia
Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Dranesville under Captain Thrift as soon as
the Civil War began in 1861.  You were twenty-three and you had a wife and
newborn baby daughter at home in Fairfax County, Virginia.  You fought in
First Manassas, was captured at Ball's Bluff, wounded at Seven Pines yet you
never wrote us anything about all this.  Why?

You were promoted to Captain after your own Captain, James Thrift, was killed
at Seven Pines you and went on to lead your Company G, of the 8th Virginia,
in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg on that hot July day back in 1863.

Why did you not write to us and tell us about these experiences?  You and
your regiment were in Garnett's Brigade when they began that hot and fiery
walk through those wheat fields toward that red house, and all those Yankees
behind that Stone Wall across the way.  Your regiment was the "point" in
Pickett's Charge, receiving the highest percentage of casualties.  When it
was all over that afternoon, you and your 1st Lieutenant, Henry Bicksler were
the only ones in your entire company who were neither killed, wounded nor
captured.  Why can't you tell us what happened? How did you manage? Did you
make it past the Codori House? Or did you stay and help your colonel, Eppa
Hunton when he fell near the house?

The next day, after The Charge, Col. Hunton asked you to be temporary Colonel
of the 8th because all your commanding officers were shot and wounded.  Col.
Hunton himself had been shot and was wounded.  The Berkeley brothers were all
wounded and captured by the Yankees.

You did not surrender at Appomattox after that war of Yankee invasion had
ended. Oh no, you were stubborn, faithful to The Cause and had to be captured
by Yankees, who came to your home, and put in Johnson's Island Prison in Ohio
for months. Your family had to persuade you to sign that silly oath.

You died in 1908 with the burn of The Cause still in your heart.  I'm a Rebel
like you. Where are you now, Oh Great Grandfather?  I have your Confederate
Veteran's Marr Camp patch, but where is your sword and uniform? Why can't you
talk to me?

Your faithful great grandson,

Joseph Edgar Sherman
Son of the CSA