VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2002

Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:19:57 EST
In a Law Dictionary I have, it gives the Table of Abbbreviations as follows
on this.

c.  Cases; Chancellor; Chancery;Chapter; Codex (Juris Civilis)
Justinian;College; Common; Court. See also, Cow.

Cow. Cowen, New York Supreme Court and Court of Erros, 1821-1829
The following may be of some help also

Explanations of Abbreviation and References to Reports of Cases and Other
Legal Publications.

       There are a great many sources of legal abbreviations, one of the most
commonly used of which is A Uniform System of Citation, published by the
Harvard Law Review Association, thirteenthe edition, 1981,  A Uniform System
of Citation has received wide acceptance, but many publishers refuse to
observe its rules, and instead use their own abbreviations.

So When you are looking at the orginial OLD documents  I think using your own
best judgement but when transcribing it , Transcribe it as it is written.
That is my two cents worth. For what it was worth. Hope this helps in
someway. They all can't be right goodness knows that.

Marlene