VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2011

From:
"R. C. Solomon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 12:55:21 -0700
Does anyone know what would have happened to a white indentured servant when her master dies, whose indentureship had not been completed? The man in question John Hardyman died in Prince George county in 1737 and no will has ever been found for him - according to other researchers. I know that large portions of PG county records were burned or lost. During her indentureship this white servant Margaret Shaw in 1715 had a mulatto child and was punished by the churchwardens of Westopher parish by the extension of her indentureship. I have not found any additional information about her or her child. I have continue to search through her owner's wills, deeds, etc. for any clues.

Also would it be unusual for an indentured servant to be a witness on a deed of her owners? I found a record of a Margaret Shew (it was transcribed this way but I think it is the same woman) as a witness to a deed between John Hardyman and another person in 1712. I have not seen the original record.

Thanks
Ruth Solomon