VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2003

Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:46:32 EST
Are there such things as immigration records from the late 1830s?  I ask as I
only have obit info on my paternal great-great-grandfather, John James Young
of Norfolk, VA (city).  Later census records cite Maine as his birthplace, but
a civil war transcription (with a couple of other mixed up "errors") say he
was born in 1817 in Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.  Then when I located his
obit, I suspect he wrote it himself!  But it too says Nova Scotia.  The
elaborate writeup speaks of him as a seaman who came into port at Norfolk as a Nova
Scotian, later deciding to live there and marry, which he did in 1842.  He
commanded a group called Young's Harborguard in the civil war.

Would anyone have any clues or direction for locating an immigration record?
I live and work in Washington, DC, so if your suggestion is DAR or NARS I can
do that.  I've been "hanging" in the DAR Library at lunchtime of late and
found a few records but nothing that would "verify" what is in the obit.

Katie Holland