VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Holly Cochran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Holly Cochran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:21:23 -0700
At 09:00 PM 10/7/2003, you wrote:
>AMEN, Miss Gale! I simply do not have any confidence OR trust in any =
>"genealogy for money" website.  The desire to profit far exceeds the =
>desire to be honest and certain of the material, I fear.

I think this statement is major overkill. While I agree that Ancestry.com
seems careless, if there were no "genealogy for money" sites, we would not
have online genealogy bookstores with invaluable transcribed public records
for sale, or census images available to people in their homes at the click
of a mouse. We can't all go to the courthouse for such things. People who
put in countless hours of work transcribing and publishing records for
other genealogists to use deserve to be paid for their efforts. Just
because they're paid does not mean they're any less honest or accurate; in
fact, I have found the majority of such transcribers to be scrupulously
careful and honest in their work.

I think the problems with Ancestry stem from their being such a LARGE
corporation. With increased size, you generally get decreased competence
and interest from the support staff. The smaller operations generally
provide better service because they care more about their customers.

--Holly Cochran, admitted owner of a small "genealogy for money" operation