VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:01:30 EDT
I have just returned home from Richmond where I stayed in Roslyn while VIGR
was taking place. VIGR is put on by the Virginia Genealogical Society every
year and teaches methodology on beginner and advanced levels. It last four days.
This is my way of saying I  missed the  on going discussion of postings to the
list advertising ones services. So I may be jumping in a little late.
The Library of Virginia publishes a list of researchers that it will mail
upon request to people  who require assistance. THis list is compiled every year
and in order to be placed on the list you have to demonstrate your skill level
by passing some sort of accrediting body. This policy was instituted to
protect the consumer.
I have not had a first hand experience with Mr. Murray's work so cannot
comment on his skill level, but if it is as some of his satisfied clients attest,
he should be able to secure certification by submitting himself to the peer
review process without any trouble. There is a Board For Certification Web Site
BCG and it maintains a roster. There is also an Association of Professional
Genealogists that has and on line roster. However they do not require testing
for their Associates. Both groups have an ethical code and require their
associates comply. They both have in place, a process for arbitrating client
complaints that afford the general public a course of action should a disagreement
occur. Both organizations have membership fees. The BCG portfolio submission fee
is $150. and the annual fee is $20.00. APG is $50.00 per year. BCG requires
you to re-certify every five years in order to stay current in the field.
As far as posting advertisements to a web cite, I do not think it is allowed
anywhere. Below is my default signature and some have called it advertising!
Perhaps LVA  would consider publishing a list of researchers on a seperate
page on its site but even that will not please some people.
Margaret R. Amundson, CGsm is a service mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists, used under license by Board-certified associates after
periodic proficiency evaluations.