VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2001

From:
Phyllis Cloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phyllis Cloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:09:17 -0400
Hello all --

This list seems so have the most knowledgeable and erudite readers, so
here goes:

My daughter is buying me a new genealogy software program.  So I will be
changing over my data and hope that this will be my last change.  I will
be doing editing of my existing data at the same time and want to try to
GET IT RIGHT this time.  Ha.

1.  If someone is adopted, which name do you list for that person?  I
assume the birth name if you know it.  But where do you put the adopted
name?  The adopted name appears on marriage certif., deeds, etc.

2.  How do you correctly show the nickname for a person?  And what if
there is more than one nickname?

3.  How do you correctly show a title such as "Deacon" or "Sir" or
"Reverend"?

4.  Where do you put "Jr." or "Sr."?  -- Or "III" or "IV", etc.?  Years
ago I heard that when "Sr." dies, the "Jr." is dropped from the second
generation.  Does that apply in genealogy?

5.  And how do you handle the variant spellings for both surnames and
given names?

Is there any standard reference to answer all of these questions?

Whew!!

Looking forward to your responses.  And thanks is advance.

Phyllis Merryman Cloyd in NJ