VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 22:53:41 -0400
I have also found that states of birth are not given correctly - one ancestor who was most definitely born in Tennessee was found to be born in New York now if she had been born in NC I might have been able to understand, however soon after that I learned that the transcriptions for Ancestry are done overseas! Can't remember what county, but it could have been India! Another fine example of the business in our country using foreign workers so they could pay less! Reminds me of Kodak? GE? and so many more! ... and Ancestry is a BUSINESS! They are profitable, hugely I imagine, and seem to have the corner on the market of certain database... however The Library of Congress has now teamed with another company 'I am a member but can never remember the name' and they also have petitions for Rev. soldiers and those are difficult to find. I found three I had been searching for and others that I already had the transcription, but now I have a copy of the original. Ancestry is no longer the only dog in the pack!
Diane S

  Karen, Ancestry does have its own errors.  I have been trying for several years to get them to correct the records where they indicate that Richmond City VA is in Wise County, VA.  Wise County has a Richmond District.  I have folks on my tree and I know where they were and it was NOT Wise County.