VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2002

From:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 11:44:13 -0600
Website: Hatcher Families Resource Center
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher
List Admin: Hatcher email list
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
The HATCHER BOOKS are now available - Edward, Henry, and Benjamin
For more info: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatchlib.htm
"Genealogy Without Documentation is Mythology"

I have one situation 1766 Cumberland in which no will was found for the
father, but there has been found in the Order Books a Bill of Sale from the
eldest son to his mother and siblings. No info on what was "sold."

This is one instance where perhaps the father died intestate and the eldest
son is perhaps sharing his inheritance with family members. Haven't figured
out any other way to interpret this record, although I'm sure there could be
a less dramatic event occurring here.

But HB sent me the following:
Hening, Statutes at Large..., vol. 5, pp. 444-448, for the
Virginia Law "An Act for the distribution of Intestates estates."  That act
states, in part, that one third goes to the wife and "all the residue in
equal proportion to and amongst his children..." All the children were
treated alike. The act I cited was the revision of the laws done in 1748. It
is a
restatement of the act of 1705 which said the same thing.

So I'm still confused :-)

Nel