VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:29:21 -0500
My great-grandfather's name was Andrew Lee Goodman. However, he was
known to all as John.  Luckily, there still are enough living to pass
that on as a fact, so 100 years from now, our descendants will not be
scratching their heads trying to figure out a nonexistent error.

Until my mother's generation, everyone had a nickname.  Sometimes it
made sense, sometimes it didn't.  But to this day, these people are
referred to by nicknames, probably because no one outside of the
immediate family even knew what their given names were.

Not saying this happened in your case, just tossing it out as a
possibility.

Lyn