VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:38:07 -0800
That does it.  While I appreciate and enjoy honest discussions and differences of opinion well stated,  your comments are completely out of line.   I won't just delete them again, but will put you on my list of blocked addresses so I don't have to bother.

  Joanne

Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Let us discuss the Eston Hemings family genealogy. After the highly popular
Fawn Brodie "novel" came out and she visited the Eston Hemings (now the
renamed Jefferson) family her persuasion began to influence them and they
began to say they were Thomas Jefferson descendants. Of course Eston, himself,
NEVER revealed that he was a Thomas Jefferson descendant. That claim fell to
his brother, Madison, whose Pike Co., Ohio article has analyzed and several
statements made are not to be believed and so I personally do not believe many
of his statements as does Henry Wiencek, author of a forthcoming book on
Jefferson. How are we to believe anything.

Prior to the Fawn Brodie visit, the Eston Hemings family believed they
descended from an uncle or a nephew of Thomas Jefferson. This could better be
defined by stating that Randolph Jefferson (Thomas Jefferson's brother) was
known among the children and grandchildren and slave children and
grandchildren as "UNCLE." He would play among them and play the fiddle. It has
been reported that he fathered slave children. If the nephew could be applied
that would be Randolph's children, ALL boys, with Jefferson looks and DNA. The
bottom line is that Eston NEVER claimed descent from Thomas. The change
suggested by Fawn Brodie meant that Eston's
descendants would be elevated in status from descending from a less
intelligent Jefferson than Thomas Jefferson. I have a lengthy interview tape
with Francis (Frank) Berkeley, former Manuscript Director at UVA. who told
about Fawn Brodie's tales and twisted analysis on her visits to his office.
She had earlier been expelled from her church (Latter Day Saints, LDS) for her
reporting on their founder.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian