VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2008

From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:54:50 -0400
DNA testing can provide information that leads to more information that
allows some reasonable assumptions.

My husband's family has a surname paper trail back to 1693.  He had a DNA
test, mainly to help the Family Tree DNA Surname Project families we had
been working with.  Lo and behold, my thoroughly Phillips husband tested as
a Fitzhugh!

I went to my local Virginia library, pulled a copy of "William Fitzhugh the
Immigrant" off the shelf, turned to the index, and discovered that my
husband's purported gggggg-grandfather was William Fitzhugh's sea captain,
carrying his tobacco to England and returning with various goods.  The book
went on to say that Fitzhugh was known for socializing with his sea captains
and their families!

So it doesn't take much of a leap to think that William Fitzhugh socialized
just a little too closely with the wife of his sea captain.

This is family history we would never have known without DNA testing and
adds a human element to a pretty dry story.

Sally Phillips