VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2010 16:21:41 -0500
Hennigs Statutes records that processioners are to be appointed by the
church wardens and be  "two intelligent, honest Freeholders."

A Freeholder would be an owner of land and hence of age.
Honest Freeholder is repeated in the wording of the statute and the reading
by me appears to put a burden of honesty and accuracy upon the
processioners.

Further in the section covering processing is regulation pertaining to land
owned by person under age, a woman, mentally deficient person, etc.
which extends the time of boundary lines as processioned for 6 years. This
is to protect the above persons.

Freddie Spradling has posted these statutes on line---Bless his soul---for
all of us to read.

Tree Mother

--

"She is insane, of course. The family history has become a mania for her."
Hercule Poirot

http://www.FrontPorchRockerNews.blogspot.com

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Langford
This project includes Lankford spelling also.

"Truth and reason are eternal. They have prevailed. And they will
eternally prevail; however, in times and places they may be overborne
for a while by violence, military, civil, or ecclesiastical."
--Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson, 1810