VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:49:33 -0400
Janet,

I'm a professional archaeologist so I will try and answer your question re:
archaeological survey.  The following will be the super-condensed basic
version, but it I think it will answer your question.

An archaeological survey can have several different steps or phases.  A
preliminary survey might consist of any, or all, of the following:

    - an examination of the existing records to identify any previous
archaeological research in the area;
    - visual examination of the site for any existing features or
alies;     - in the case of large open areas such as fields, the site might
be plowed and then archaeologists will systematically walk the area
collecting artifacts and recording find spots;
     - a shovel test pit (STP) survey, where small holes (roughly 15 inches
or so in diameter) are systematically dug across the site, the soil screened
through 1/4 inch hardware cloth,  and artifacts and/or features found are
recorded;
    - a report will be generated containing the findings of this initial
survey and with recommendations for further work if necessary.

Based on the findings of this preliminary investigation, the survey might
progress to a second phase during which:
    - a more intensive examination of the records will take place, including
deeds, censuses, court records, tax records, etc.;
    - larger squares known as units are excavated in areas of artifact
density or diversity, or other probable areas.  Artifacts are recovered, the
site and features are mapped, photos taken.  This is what most lay people
think of when they hear "archaeological survey;"
    - a report will be generated containing the findings, photos, maps,
historical and archival research, a catalogue of artifacts, and
recommendations.

Ideally, significant archaeological sites should be preserved in place;
however, if a site is to be destroyed, a full-bore data recovery might be
conducted to extract every possible bit of data before destruction.  This
usually involves opening large areas systematically but quickly.  Salvage
excavations like this can yield remarkable things, but are ultimately
heartbreaking because we know the site will be detroyed to allow for a
subdivision, a mall, a golf course, or other sign of "progress."

In federally mandated projects (Section 106), the final reports and notes
are submitted to the National Park Service.  The NPS often receives the
artifacts as well, although if the survey was conducted on private lands
they are generally the property of the land owner.

In state mandated projects, the Dept. of Historical Resources (DHR) is the
repository.

Often, developers or others will privately contract for an archaeological
survey, even when not required to by law.  The reports, notes, and artifacts
generated by these projects are often curated with the DHR.

The maps generated by the survey(s) will show the location of the site,
features found, artifact densities, and other related information.  In the
interest of protecting the sites, these maps are usually not available to
the public.  The same applies to the reports, although sometimes abridged
copies are available at local research libraries.  Often the reports contain
copies of historic maps, but these are usually all available in public
facilities.  While archaeological reports often contain information that
might be interesting to genealogists, they are not family or geneaological
records;  all of the archival data is taken from the same records that are
available to the public (and genealogical researchers usually have a lot
more time to do the research than we do; we often get no more than a day or
two.).

I know this may be disappointing but the threat of collectors, pothunters,
and looters in general is real and constant, so archaeologists must do what
we can to protect the sites we find.  It is doubtful anyway that an
archaeological report would aid you with your genealogy, so you're really
not missing anything.

Good luck with your research!

Kathy Liston