VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2003

Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:55:16 EST
In a message dated 12/8/03 1:25:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
When thinking of travel in the 1800, keep in mind how many man hours went
into building the roads. Most early roads followed Indian trails and few were fit
for wagons. The newer roads were stump pocked and created long delays. Most
items of any size was shipped by boat. Eventually canals were built. Flat boats
traveled down the Ohio to Maysville, KY Cincinnati, Ohio and points along the
way. Wagons could go on them. Remember the famous Sam Girty the River boat
pirate?
Some where I have a letter written by Bishop James Madison in about 1777 from
Williamsburg to his brother regarding his need to leave the area and make a
living for his family during the War. He talks about using a wagon to get to
Hanover and ask his brother to have someone meet him and help him get to Augusta
Co. were the rest of the family lived. From this I gather in 1770s travel
from the coast to the counties bordering present I-95 was easy but the rest was
more difficult. Augusta Co., was 25 + years old at that time so had some
infrastructure.
Most roads were built for military use. Equipment to supply an army was the
primary reason for building them. Rail travel was not a choice at the beginning
of the 19th century. Folks settled near a fort as they pushed westward. Land
policy also was a factor in determine accessibility. As new frontiers were
established the next generation pushed further on.
I think most went to the Forbes Turnpike, to Pittsburgh and down the river to
where they wanted to go. One had to be able to repair a wagon as well as
drive one. Margaret

Margaret R. Amundson, CGsm is a service mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists, used under license by Board-certified associates after
periodic proficiency evaluations.