VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2009

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:30:33 -0600
HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
"One of the tragedies of life is the murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts" - La Rochefoucauld

HBG,

You wrote:
"But I understood the question about Hatcher being made levy free
had to do his being released from paying the tithable charge."

You are correct. I will repeat the only ref I have to this William.

1755 Lunenburg
"Hatcher Levy free On the Petition of William Hatcher and for Reasons appearing he is Exonorated from the Payment of Public & County Levies for the Future."

To me, the above does not tell me what kind of "levies", taxes, tithables or property, real or personal, that he was exempted from.

I just have no clue how to interpret this exemption. How does one interpret "public & county levies"?

Nel