VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:21:41 -0400
Karen... another phenomenon that I have run across are county genealogy
centers have gone under or never existed.  Case in point recently I tried
to locate several people from a couple of the very old counties in
Virginia.  One even had a website but guess what, their phone number had
been disconnected and the person listed on the site to email, was a dead
link and mail bounced back.  How can you research in counties that don't
take pride in even keeping their history centers open or manned?  You would
think those early historic counties would have an abundance of information
and materials but not available to share with the general public?

LDS centers only have what people submit to it and much is old research
unlike original documents that can be obtained from places I mention above
which are becoming scarce in themselves?

Eric