VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2012

From:
Elaine McHale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 00:26:44 -0400
Because of the 1782 date, I would make the assumption that these are
Virginia personal property tax records (or perhaps land tax records).
Pittsylvania personal property tax records for 1782 are at
http://www.binnsgenealogy.com/FreeSample/CDR-000415/1782/ and Halifax at
http://www.binnsgenealogy.com/FreeSample/CDR-000407/1782/ , although it's
possible that these are not complete.  You can order microfilm from the
Library of Virginia http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/pptax.htm .
Further information about personal property tax records is at
http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/rn3_persprop.pdf .

--
Elaine McHale
Librarian