VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2008

From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:50:19 -0500
Thanks! I believe this was after Berkeley returned to the
governorship following Bacon's Rebellion. The Berkeley who came back
was a much hardened man, who wanted all these ideas implemented to
keep [he hoped] the lower sorts in their place so there'd never be
another rebellion. Earlier Va. had been, as are most frontier
societies, a much more egalitarian place [relatively speaking]. After
Berkeley's "reforms" were moderated later, Va. was never the again
the egalitarian place she had been. That frontier sensibility was
gone, replaced by the entrenched FFVs and a try to recreate the rigid
British class system. Berkeley's repressions, hasty trials and
punishments of the Bacon's Rebellion plotters was so severe he was
recalled to England and he then retired to his Va. plantation.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone