VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:17:38 -0500
 Well, I have a positive little story, my trip to Hardin & Pope Co.'s in
Illinois and to Carrsville, Livingston Co., Kentucky (Ohio River towns)
resulted in a meeting with a local lady, Mildred McCormick in Pope Co.,
 Illlinois who works at the Historical Society shop on a volunteer basis.
 She also supervises the Historical Museum for the Society.  I  had ran out
of time and was leaving the following day when I stepped into the little
 shop to purchase a reprint of the history of Pope Co.  I talked with her
about several cemeteries there and expressed a wish to go to each of them.
 She promised to take me to each cemetery when I return in September.  After
I returned home last week I received copies of all the King family burials
in the area.  Mildred had gone to her files and researched the King families
 for me. She had my name and address from the check I had written to the
Historical Society.  Her postage for the package was $1.17.
 I called her to thank her for her efforts and to let her know I would send
her money back for the postage.  She was just so sweet.  Once a researcher,
always a researcher.  She cared not a twit whether she was reimbursed.
 Again, same trip, we took the Shawnee River Taxi  from Elizabethtown to
Golconda and the river pilots on the boat took us to Rondeau Island and let
us scoop up some soil from the Island that once belonged to my
gggg-grandfather Gershom Clemens. They were happy to talk with someone who
could give them more details of the history of the area.  So folks, there
are still some wonderful people out there.  I wish for all of you the same
experience as mine.
 Bet