VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2002

From:
Ann Blomquist <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Blomquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:36:32 -0500
Nel and Listers,

I am able to reply with some information about Littleton
Parish. I am currently working on The Vestry Book of Southam
Parish 1745-1792. It is a transcription of the parish
records and the Library of VA will be publishing it soon
(hopefully this summer).

Southam Parish once included all of current Cumberland and
Powhatan counties. In 1772, Southam Parish was divided with
the intent of having an equal number of tithables in each
parish, so Littleton Parish was formed. Then because the
parish division had been successful, Powhatan County was
then taken from Cumberland and the parish dividing line was
used for the county line.

Along with transcribing the vestry book, I have also mapped
the processioning precincts for each processioning year. The
processioners are listed for every precinct, and depending
on how detailed a job they did, the landowners for the
precincts were also reported to the vestry. I will be happy
to do a lookup for you if you will send names.

I have a copy of the earliest known map of the area (very
little detail) and a copy of the 1880 map of Powhatan
County. My own family lived along Deep Creek.

Ann Blomquist
Orlando, FL