VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2006

Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 01:26:03 EDT
In a message dated 6/1/2006 11:57:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Any suggestions will be most gratefully received.

Hi Henry,
     I saw your post and thought I could be some help to you in regards to
which picture format to save your pictures. I will try to explain so you can
make an informed decision, but basically it boils down to what you are planning
on doing with the pictures.
     I would suggest that you save the pictures in Jpeg format. ALL computers
(even Macs) can open Jpeg files.
     THe Jpeg quality will not deteriorate if you are only opening it to look
at it, print or share it. Loss of picture quality comes from repeated
editing. You can also prevent this by keeping the picture in your editing program
until you are completely finished editing.
     I would suggest that you also make a backup CD of your files after doing
all that work scanning. THis will also prevent the loss of picture quality.
Plus its nice to have in case your computer gets PMS.
     But here's probably the best reason to save as a Jpeg file. If you have
a DVD player that plays picture files...you can take the back up CD and put it
in the DVD player. (You cannot do this with TIFF or Bitmap)
     Why watch them on your TV you may ask? If the documents you are taking
pictures of or scanning are letters, census and anything you may need to
magnify to be able to read...it works great.
     Most DVD players will play jpeg files but not te other formats. So if
you have saved some pictures in other formats and want to change them, you can
get a free converter by going to www.google.com and typing "bitmap to jpeg
converter" in the search bar. Hope this helps you decide. Debbie