VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2014

From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2014 00:28:18 -0400
I am wondering if there are records that exist in Fauquier County for Criminal cases, specifically a murder trial.  I just discovered through copies of Estate Accounts that my ancestor Mason Owens was murdered in January 1804 by a Peter (C?) Brook.

Joshua Owens was his brother and it states in the document, "...that immediately after Mason Owens was killed in January 1804, Joshua Owens took charge of the corpse, that in consequence of a deep snow and severe weather several days passed before an inquest was held on the body and burial performed that during that time the incidental charges was to Joshua Owens, that he became the prosecutor of Peter (C? N?difficult to read this single letter in the document) Brook for the murder of his brother paying extra fees for the prosecution..."

So a trial definitely did occur it seems.

I really want to find out more about all of this and what was the outcome.  I have tried to find a newspaper article, but so far haven't been able to find any that exist as early as 1804.

I know about and have utilized Chancery Court records online from the Library of Virginia, but criminal courts records are an unknown area for me.

It sounds like there was a Chancery case for the estate of Mason Owens over his land, but my first interest and priority is to try and learn more about the trial and outcome for the murder of Mason Owens and the fate of his accused murderer.

Anyone have any answers or advice for me?

Sincerely,

Michelle Allensworth Pendleton