VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:32:25 -0400
I may a little late to the party....but...I have recovered a
small family graveyard on a bit of hilly land purchased in
1812 by Benj. Harper in Fred. Co., VA.  He died in 1817 and
while there are markers for some of his descendents, there
isn't one for Benjamin. (He did marry a Quaker but I don't
know his faith) He left a wife with 5 boys so I just assumed
they couldn't afford a marker and had a wooden headstone
erected that has long ago disappeared.
Any credence to this theory on the use of wooden markers in
hard times and inaccessible places?
Madaline

Mitzie Preston
College of Business