VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:52:26 -0600
"Present(s)" was an early verb, then and even almost to now, representing
and describing or revealing the acts of another that were thought to be
breaches of the law or of someone's rights or obligations in probate.  Such
were filed with a magistrate, chancellor, judge, and (early) even a JP,
following which the matter was considered by that judicial officer or by the
grand jury, depending on the nature of the alleged improper act, demand foe
justice or crime.  If the matter was viewed as one that should be sent to a
grand jury for deliberation, it was so forwarded.

Clay already revealed the nature of "stopping the road".
**********
How would one define the verb PRESENTS as used below?

Mr. Shelton informed me that John Williams, the preacher, kept people from
coming to church.  I do PRESENT him and I do PRESENT Mary Jackson the dau/
of Richard Jackson.  (signed) John Brantley.  Thos Granbury PRESENTS James
Jolly.  PRESENTS Robert Driver for stopping up highway.
(sometime in the fall of 1694)

above from Deed Book I as found in  "17th century Isle of Wight Co VA"
vol.II p618.

Capitalization above is mine.  My guess would be that PRESENTS would be
REPRESENTS and that Brantley and Granbury are attorneys or personal
representatives.

And what is the meaning of the last line about STOPPING up highway?
Was Robert Driver a highway bandit or did he fill some potholes without
recompense?

Thanks - Judith B. Gabor

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:21 AM