VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:30:09 -0500
Amen, Pat; a fine site for the counties it covers; I would second your endorsement.

The VA Highway Dept. also printed a fine booklet and map of the roads of significance historically and for genealogists.  I have referred to it many times in the course of "guessing" at migration routes.  It is found now and then on the used books lists.

It is by the same fine writer, N. M. Pawlett, and is "Historic Roads of VA; a Brief History of the Roads of Virginia 1607-1840" (VA Hwy & Transp Research Council, Charlottesville, 1977, VHTRC 78-816; LC 77-87261)
  Paul
  Subject: Great Land Information Resource for historical Virginia

  ....You may know that "we the people" built and maintained those roads *personally* - or at least our
  tithables did, so there is considerable information on who did what, whose land did a road cross, who had
  the bridge, etc. Unfortunately, no maps to speak of, because of file size issues, but I'm pretty sure they
  would be available from the VA Department of Transportation. I'll let you know.

  I commend it to you:

  http://www.virginiadot.org/vtrc/main/historic_roads.htm

  Pat (in Tucson)