VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2012

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:55:43 -0500
Carolyn, what a nice response.  Many of my kin came to the Shenandoah
Valley in the 1730s.  I can't imagine how tough the conditions were while
they tried to put up a cabin.  I look at how spoiled I am (can't be too
warm or too cool) and wonder how, genetically, my line survived.

Your comments reminded me of a book I read ...Hollow Folk by Mandel Sherman
and Thomas R. Henry.  It was written in 1933 and tells of life in the
hollows on the Blue Ridge Mountains.  From the tone of your email....I
think you may enjoy it.

Regards,
Madaline