VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2000

Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:12:40 EST
Fellow Southside Researchers:

I am searching for the parents of John BAUGH, who d. intestate 1761 in
Chesterfield Co, VA, leaving wife Mary, and children John Baugh (m. Anne
EGGLESTON), Creacher Baugh (m. Anne's sister Rebecca EGGLESTON) Mary, and
Martha (m. John DANCE).

I descend from John Baugh & Anne Eggleston, and in Powhatan Co wills,
marriages, other court records, one Edward Fleming Baugh is closely
associated with this family as good or beloved friend.  Through a trail of
records, including his brother Horatio's will, we strongly feel that he is
the Edward in the following will of John Baugh whose will was written in 1791
and proven in 1800.

If I recall correctly, the last time this John Baugh was discussed on the
Chesterfield list, his father was still unidentified.  As I feel he might be
a clue to the siblings/family of my John Baugh, d. 1761 in Chesterfield, I
was wondering if any one knows...

Who the parents of the following John Baugh (and looks like second wife Jane)
are:

Chesterfield County Will Book 5, page 314: Will of John Baugh of Dale Parish
"To wife Jane, 2 negroes and items and use of my plantation I live on for
widowhood. Rest of estate equally to my children: Martha, William, Sarah,
John, Bartlett, Edward, Peter, Joseph, Horatio, Arthur, Arch'd, and
Elizabeth. Executors: John Legon, Baxter Folkes. Dated 29 September 1791.
Witnesses: Nath. Friend, Benj. Osborne"

Chesterfield County Court Order Book 14, page 5: Court 8 December 1800:
"Will of John Baugh proved by Benjamin Osborne and Archard' Bass, witnesses.
Baxter Folkes, an executor, refused to act. Mrs. Baugh, the widow, refusing
to act, William Dunn, took oath as administrator."

Chesterfield County Will
Book 5, page 567: Will of Jane Baugh, widow of John Baugh, Sen'r: "Lend my
negro man Hall for three years to my niece Jane Dunn, and then he is to be
free. My crop to be sold and money divided as follows: To my brother Thomas
Walthall of Dinwiddie Co., 20 pounds. To children of my brother James
Walthall, dec'd, 20 pounds, to be lodged in hands of William Dunn. To John
Baugh, son of my husband, 10 pounds. To Elizabeth DeSear, daughter of my
husband, 10 pounds. My desire is that Horatio Baugh not be called on for
money owed me as it is about the sum left to his brother and sister. To
Sarah Akin, daughter of my husband, 10 pounds. Rest of estate to Jane Dunn
and her children by William Dunn. Executor: William Dunn. Dated 19 July
1802. Wit: Thos. A Taylor, Marley Walthall."

Chesterfield County Court Order Book 14, page 351: Court 13 September 1802:
"Will of Jane Baugh proved by Thos. A. Taylor and Marley Walthall,
Witnesses."

Best Regards,

Janet Hunter