VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:38:07 -0600
Absolutely, John.  And too, the same situations are easily found in NC and TN (and likely many more states.  Plus, as mentioned, there are many deed descriptions that have both "courses" and "bounds" as to each line.

I think it also is interesting that the very ancient expression, "Metes and Bounds", reveals NOTHING indicative of any need by those now long in their graves for either angles or distances.  The early owners, as often as not, surely could not apply geometry and had no accurate way to measure distances, yet still they knew full well, as now, where their boundary lines were located.

As any surveyor will tell us, if he/she knows the meeting points of all the corners, and knows none of the angles of the "bounds" - the lines on the perimeter of the tract, no matter how marked or established - he can locate the property on the ground, and equally can determine the acreage by simply measuring the length of those lines and applying ordinary surveying geometry.

Maybe the best indication that old practices remain for centuries is revealed by the fact that I can quickly show you the tree on the NE corner of my property from which my north line extends to the creek west of the land, yet I have NO idea whatever about the courses, angles and distances.

Genealogy without documentation is nothing.
                     Paul Drake JD
                Genealogist & Author
            <www.DrakesBooks.com>