VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2004

From:
Langdon Hagen-Long <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Langdon Hagen-Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 17:08:23 -0700
Bill, I think you are right about the social aspects of the militia. In Tidewater, the militia groups provided Saturday entertainment for the community, and the public was invited to watch the drills. The young women would come out and watch the men drill, and hope to get invited to the dances the militia held. The militia held dances on a regular basis. They also held major affairs with regiments from Smithfield, Richmond, and other areas.  When they got invited to another city,  they would,  "return the favour", by inviting units here. "Thank you" letters for the invitations were sent out.

The different units were formed around the "class" or occupation of the participants. Farmers had a unit, merchants, wealthy merchants, etc.  Originally joining a local militia was reserved for land owners only.  Our local units sent out engraved invitations to other units and often posted notices in the newspaper to invite the public. The Norfolk Light Artillery Blues collected dues which seem to go to "refreshments" and invitations, rather than to anything "military".   The local paper wrote several articles on how well the unit looked and the social importance of the young ladies getting invited to the dances. When the Civil War was looming there was a dramatic change in attitude. My ancestor, treasurer of the Blues, was trying to collect arrearage of dues, apparently for the purpose of buying arms or uniforms, rather than invitations. The change in tone was significant. The minutes of the meetings of the Norfolk Light Artillery Blues still exist and are held by Old Dominion
 University Archives.

And you are obviously right about the second Amendment which states we have a right to arms "for the purpose of forming a well-regulated militia".

Langdon Hagen-Long