VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:41:45 EDT
While perusing 1850 Franklin County, VA Census records, transcribed by Karen
Mann Robuck, I found two families with Joseph Peters listed as HOH. No big
deal, since Peters is a common surname found in Franklin County and Joseph is
a common given name in any county. (These are not Joseph Sr. & Joseph Jr.)
The similarities of these two households have me baffled. I was hoping that
someone could help me unravel the mystery of the Joseph Peters' households.

My ggg granddad, Jordan N. Peters had a brother named Joseph Gideon Peters,
who lived in Franklin County in 1850 and who married Martha Smith on 1
September 1830 in Franklin County, VA. The first Joseph Peters' household in
1850 Franklin County, VA is recorded in the following manner:

76/76
PETERS Joseph      41   farmer
Martha                     40
Mary A.                   18
Nancy E.                 16
Keziah F.                 16
Henry M(ichael)         13
Martha                     10
Samuel W.              7
Ruth                        3
Elizabeth H.             8 months

The second Joseph Peters household in 1850 Franklin County, VA is recorded in
the following way:

1184/1179
PETERS, Joseph     35
Margaret                  38
Mary                       18
Keziah                     15
Nancy                     15
Michael                   13
Margaret                  10
Samuel                    10
Ruth                         5
Elizabeth                 1

The differences in the two households are the names of the spouses, Martha &
Margaret, and some of the ages of the family members. The names of the
children are the same and the age discrepancies are close enough for census
records. Was this a case of the same household being transcribed twice?

Thank you in advance for any information or comments. I look forward to
hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters