VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2004

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:03:38 -0700
The recent discussion of Mr. Burgess and "his" Chesapeake schooners,
reminded me of a question.

One of my not too remote cousins owned and operated one of the last of
the pungy schooners in the 1930's.  While we have many photographs,
none clearly show her yawl.  At one point did it become common for a
schooner's yawl to be equipped with an engine and employed as a
pushboat?  1870s? -80s?-90s?  Also, would those first pushers have been