VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2000

From:
Sally Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:28:04 -0500
A Tickner owned Land in Upper New Norfolk County (formed in 1636 from the
portion of Elizabeth City Co. on the south side of the James River. Later
named Nanemond Co. in 1642)
From Cavaliers and Pioneers, Book I:  Richard Preston, 150 acs UP New Norf.
Co., 11 May 1639, p. 645.  About 4 mi. up Chuckatuck River, a mi. from the
Nly. Side, upon the Wly. Side of a small runing brooke knowne by the name of
the Indian Snares, Sly. Ticknard, runing Nly. &c. Due for trans. of 3 pers.
(P. 108) - It can be assumed that a Ticknard owned land next to this land
being granted to Richard Preston in 1639.  I am searching for information on
this Ticknard. Or if these original land records still exist.   This is the
only entry in Cav and Pion which refers to this land ownership.
This family also owned shares in the Somers Co. and voted them as residents
in 1623... can anyone give any of this any context?