VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2011

From:
Janice Friel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2011 21:04:09 -0400

Hi Anita

Though my family is white our Jackson family were from Henrico County and
my Jacksons married Bells from Fredericksburg.

I have my Jackson's back to Ralph Jackson 1600s and Bells also back to
1600s. Think there is any connection?

Janice

Janice,
The main surnames I am researching are, made up of Mulattoes  and Free
Blacks. The is one white woman, named Lydia Hilliard (b. abt. 1690, d.  aft.
1710), who bore a child by a negro man abt. 1710. That child went by the  name
Mary Monroe, and was the mother of my direct ancestor, Mary Bowden (b. 1730
d. aft. 1810).

Here are the surnames: Bowden (Westmoreland County,  Fredericksburg;Monroe
(Westmoreland County;Hilliard, (Westmoreland County;Pinn  (Northumberland,
Lancaster, Dinwiddie, and Amherst County); Evans
(Brunswick/Lunenburg/Amherst County); Cooper, (Elizabeth City, Nelson and  Amherst County); Lewis (King
George County, Fredericksburg, Northumberland  County, The City of
Richmond, and Henrico County); Jackson, (City of  Fredericksburg).

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Anita