VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
"Karen E. Sutton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:41:14 EST
In a message dated 11/14/2005 11:57:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Date:    Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:08:30 -0500
From:   Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Carter  Braxton's Slaves

Karen  Sutton asked the other day about Carter Braxton, Virginia signer of
the  Declaration of Independence, and whether there is an expert out
there on  him and his slaves.

The only good scholarship on Braxton is that of the  late Alonzo Thomas Dill,
who wrote mostly on Braxton's public life, there  being a limited amount of
good documentation available on his private life and  his early career as a
planter. Braxton died in October 1797, in rather dire  financial straits,
suggesting that the enslaved Missouri residents about which  Karen Sutton once asked
may have belonged to some other (perhaps a namesake)  member of the Braxton
family for a long time before going out to  Missouri.

Brent Tarter
The Library of  Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web  site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us

To subscribe, change options, or  unsubscribe please see the instructions at
_http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html_
(http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html)

Thanks Brent.  I just connected with someone who is researching one of
Carter Braxton's slaves.  So we will try to help one another.  If  anyone else has
ideas, I welcome your input.

Karen E. Sutton